Meet Carolyn, Safer-Skin Care Expert!
She lights up a room with her radiant joy, and she stewards her friendships, passions, time, and energy beautifully. It's no surprise that her thoughtful way of life spills out into her skincare routine, which we could all learn from! Carolyn is an event planner by day, and wife, mom, and beauty and wellness enthusiast by night. In her spare time she loves being outside, going on hikes with her family, meditating, and writing.
We thought we'd take this amazing opportunity to pick her brain on what safe skin care looks like, and how we can be more mindful with our own beauty routines. Follow along as she gives us the scoop!
Here's to loving ourselves deeply by caring for our skin intentionally.
Deeply: How did you first learn about safer skin care and makeup?
Caro: About two years ago, one of Nashville's leading makeup artists told me about a brand called Beautycounter and shared their mission - to get safer products into the hands of everyone. She spoke of the lack of regulation in the beauty product industry, and the importance of choosing safer products for the sake of our health and wellness. She also raved about how well the products worked, and how she had incorporated them into her makeup kit. Coming from a professional, I believed her, but I also started doing my own research. Like many of you, I did not know what I did not know, but what I learned was life-changing.
- Decades of studies indicate that serious health issues (including but not limited to asthma, cancer, and infertility) are on the rise and are due in some part to our ongoing exposure to toxic chemicals—whether it’s in the shower, on our commute, while we eat lunch at a local restaurant, or when we clean our kitchens at home.
- There are over 80,000 chemicals on the market today, and many do not have any safety data related to human exposure. This is particularly true of those used in skin care and beauty products.
- The United States has not passed a major federal law to regulate the safety of ingredients used in personal care products since 1938. Over the past two decades, the European Union has banned more than 1,300 chemicals in the product formulas of personal care products. The United States has only partially banned 11 to date.
I was surprised by this information, but simultaneously thankful to find that Beautycounter was the industry leader in safer alternatives for skin care and makeup. Beautycounter is committed to a health and safety standard that goes far beyond what is required by U.S. law. They ban over 1,500 questionable or harmful chemicals, all while ensuring their products perform to match any luxe brand you'd find in a high-end department store.
That same week, I tried a few products and was immediately sold. From the company's mission to the gorgeous packaging to the performance of the product, I fell in love with Beautycounter. Not only did I begin switching out my skin care and makeup for Beautycounter products, but I decided to join the company's mission by becoming a consultant - but more on that a bit later!
Deeply: Hearing all of this makes me wonder, is my current skin care routine harmful to my health? How do I know?
Caro: This is a great question - I asked the same thing! Thankfully, Beautycounter has done the work for you. Our "Never List" is made up of more than 1,500 chemicals that we never use in our products, and here is a shorter list of the most common "offenders" and their impact on our health. I suggest using this list to check and see if these ingredients are in the products you're using, and consider how often you are using them.
Deeply: How has being intentional with your skin care mirrored intention in other parts of your life? Do you find that there is any connection?
Caro: I support the things I care about by investing my time, energy, and finances. For me, choosing safer skin care and makeup is just as important as choosing organic groceries or ethically sourced clothing (Talking about you, Deeply!). I’m a huge proponent for “voting with your dollars”. If we purchase from companies who value transparency, accountability, and performance, we are supporting those values ourselves. This brings me to one of my favorite things about Beautycounter, which is that we are a B Corporation. The B stands for "benefit", and it means that we consider people, planet, and profits equally. Beautycounter not only provides you with a safer alternative to your current skin care routine, but we are using the power of business to help solve social and environmental challenges around the world. More information on our trusted non-profit partnerships here.
Deeply: Do you have any tips for those of us who are new to the idea of safer skin care? Where do you suggest we start?
Caro: I suggest starting where you can, and remember every "switch to safer" counts! A recent study showed that even after 3 days of using products without harmful chemicals, the body's toxicity level is lower, therefore decreasing your risk for endocrine system disruption, neurobehavioral problems, obesity and cancer cell growth. I talk to people all the time who say that they want to use safer products, but they feel overwhelmed when they consider replacing all of their products. I relate, and I suggest starting with a few of the products you use everyday. For example, face cleanser, face moisturizer, and body wash.
From there, you can gradually add safer products as your budget allows.
Small steps add up.
This approach has been life-changing for me and my family. Being a wife and mom of an infant, I am always aware of the wellbeing of our family and choosing Beautycounter products takes all the guesswork out of it for me. Whether I'm purchasing makeup for myself, face cleanser for my husband, or shampoo for my son, I have peace of mind knowing Beautycounter has rigorously screened all the ingredients in their products for our safety.
Deeply: How can I support the movement and mission of Beautycounter?
Caro: There are four main ways you can become affiliated with the Beautycounter brand.
- You can become a Client - someone who purchases Beautycounter products at full retail price.
- You can become a Host - someone who brings people together for a Beautycounter gathering. Hosts open their home or place of work to share the story of Beautycounter, and in return they receive Host Rewards based on sales and the number of guests who purchase Beautycounter products at their event.
- You can become a Band of Beauty Member - someone who is a loyal Beautycounter Client and purchases on a continual basis. After signing up as a Band of Beauty Member, you will receive exclusive Beautycounter promotions, perks, and special offers, including free shipping on orders over $100.
- You can become a Consultant (like me!) - someone who decides to build your own Beautycounter business. Consultants receive a 25% savings on all product purchases and earn income based on sales and the sales of others who join their team.
For more information on Beautycounter, link to Carolyn's Beautycounter webpage. To contact Carolyn directly about getting involved, email her at email@example.com or follow her on Instagram at @beautycounterbycaro.